Friday, July 19, 2013

Bench 'Pi Repair

Today, I had the privilege/displeasure of doing my first repair to my bench-side Raspberry Pi.

 You might recognize this guy as the one I was using in my BabyPi project. This little guy has been my bench-test 'Pi for nearly all of my Raspberry Pi prototypes and projects. Because I use it so often, it doesn't surprise me that it would need some repairs eventually. I always assumed the USB power connector would be the first to go. (it looks a lot flimsier than it really is) 
Anyway, I was hooking it up at Caytee's Dad's house to watch some programs on Raspbmc. When I hooked up the analog audio and video, I heard a pop come from the video connector... I made it work but it was very sensitive. When I got back home, I opened it up and found this:

Both of the main supports holding the connector to the board had broken free.
  
Here is a little better of a view from of the problem: 

Luckily, this is an extremely easy thing to fix. A little soldering and it's good as new! 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've also done so more work on my Raspi64, so I've updated that page and added some new content there so go check it out!